Okay, just when I think I've heard everything... They drop this in the news:
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada described in private then-Sen. Barack Obama as "light skinned" and "with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one."
Truthfully, the point is rather dumb. How often have I heard and corrected my peers for saying a brother or sister is "talking white" simply because they're speaking properly. Of course, this is just a republican rouse to attack the Dem. Majority Leader... Like they're really out to defend our president. I mean, don't they have better things to complain about.
I do, however have a small beef with their use of the word "Negro" and the context in which it's being used. Personally, for that reason alone, I don't think this story should have been run at all. What they are doing, and the media seems to agree with this, is that "Slang" (as I know it) is the common African-American dialect. So I guess white people, who use "slang", are "talking black".
The idea that has always been bestowed upon me is that if you use "slang", especially in a professional environment, then you're ignorant. This, I must say, is not true either... Well, not entirely. Anyone is capable of either speaking properly or using "slang" if or when ever they so choose. Who is to say, while in private, the First Lady and the President don't use "slang" sometimes.
As far as being uneducated, would you say that KRS ONE or Jadakiss (two of my favorite Emcees) are uneducated?
The way someone speaks (or doesn't speak) does NOT define their character. Though, in some cases, it does reflect their education. "It's just the dialect that I select when I hang"... Special Ed.
To the Republican Party... "Ya Game is Tired...". Shouldn't you be working on Health Care or something instead of criticizing something that doesn't matter.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

As an educated African American woman and business owner I find it insulting and a disgrace when people sterotype others based on how they look, speak, and dress. Throughout my college years and even until now people are just ignorant based on this premise.
ReplyDeleteFor instance, in my attempt to outreach and connect with more vendors withing my industry, I find that there are some who get it and other would quite clearly don't. In reaching out to another Event Planner of African American decent, I was told outright "Wow..you sound nothing how your picture looks!" And to my amazement said it several times during our conversation. Initially I did not pay much attention to it but later I became disturbed by her comment. So because I am a Black Woman, who chooses to wear braids from time to time, I am "suppose" to "sound and look" a certain way based on your ignorance? I think not.
There is a small part of me that would like to ask her, "What exactly do you mean by I sound nothing how my picture looks?" Then there is a big part of me that says, "Why bother?" If she doesn't know the difference between someone who is educated and someone who is not.